The lake created by the dam was known as the Helena River Reservoir, however it is now known as Lake C.Y. O’Connor.
The owner of the dam, the Water Corporation, refers to the weir as Mundaring Dam on its website, but no other authority, such as Geographic Names, or Geosciences Australia uses this term. The Mundaring Shire uses an image of the Mundaring Weir in its logo. The weir last overflowed in 1996.
Google Earth/Maps Location:
31° 57' 23.88" S 116° 9' 54.74" E
No. 1 Pumping Station
The Goldfields Water Supply Scheme designed by CY O’Connor was originally built to transfer water from the Perth hills to the goldfields of Western Australia, a distance of 560 kilometres. The scheme was opened in 1903.
No 1 Pump Station was the first of eight steam pump stations and an extensive four-year renovation project by the National Trust now makes No 1 Pump Station a showcase for the scheme.
The Mundaring Weir Hotel
**From the Hotel’s Website – History:**
In 1898, the Jacoby brothers built a single storey building called the Reservoir Hotel. The building was situated adjacent to the railway line on the first piece of freehold land next to the weir easement. In 1906, Fred Jacoby constructed a two-storey building as part of the Hotel and renamed it the Goldfields Weir Hotel. Some of the building materials for the construction of the hotel were brought out to Australia from England by sailing ship. A bricklayer doing repairs to the foundation of the fireplace, which is now the Coffee Shop, found bricks bearing the name of his home town in the north of England.
A railway was initially constructed from Mundaring to the Weir for goods transport only, so the Licensee would pick visitors up from Mundaring station by horse and buggy.
Later there were two weekly trains from Perth. The last stop before Weir, opposite the hall, was called Karda Mordo. The beer kegs for the Hotel would be unloaded here and rolled down the hill to the hotel. The invoices from the Swan Brewery are still addressed to Mundaring Weir Hotel, Karda Mordo. The railway line was closed in 1952.
During the Second World War The Weir was considered an enemy target and guards were posted. The roof of the Hotel was painted dark and part of the cellar was made into a bomb shelter with access from the ballroom above. The shelter is now the kitchen for the down stairs Café.
Google Earth/Maps Location:
31° 57' 8.28" S 116° 10' 2.51" E
The Mechanics Institute
**From the Heritage Council History:-**
As local community and education centres, halls and Mechanics Institutes were an important part of early social and cultural history. Western Australia’s first Mechanics Institute was established in Perth in January 1851. The closest one for hills residents was at Guildford, built in 1865. In 1906, the same year Midland Junction opened their Mechanics Institute, Mundaring Weir citizens, Harry Ball, Eli Willis, Fred Jacoby and Engineer-in-Charge of the No. 1 Pumping Station, Mr. A Eggleton, began to raise funds for the Mundaring Weir Hall and Mechanics Institute. Delays in construction caused by storm damage meant the building was not ready for official opening until April 1908. A crowd of 200 people attended the opening by M.L.A. Mr A.C. Gull. The foundation stone shows the name of James Price, Minister for Works and Mr Jordan as the Builder. An indication that the community was expected to grow can be seen in the temporary nature of the corrugated iron rear of the Hall.
In the 1920s and 30s, after the forestry headquarters were established at nearby ‘Portagabra’ (Site 60), the hall and nearby tennis courts were used for dances and tennis. Between c 1947 and 1951, when the wall of the Mundaring Weir (Site 55), was being raised, children of the construction workforce were taught here as an overflow class from the Mundaring Weir school (Site 58). The building was well used by local people until, with declining population levels, it fell into disrepair. In the early 1980’s, the Shire of Mundaring rehabilitated the building for use by community groups.